Session 10: Celebrating Holy Week

In this lesson we are going to examine Holy Week, the week leading up to Easter Sunday where we remember events in Jesus’ life.

Ever wonder why the Priest washes the feet of a group of parishioners on Holy Thursday? This happened in the New Testament. Let's look:

First, go to The Washing of the Disciples Feet,  Read John 13:1-15

 

Think About It:  What would it feel like for Jesus to wash your feet? How would you respond? Would you say something similar to Peter? How has Jesus shown his love for you? How can you show your love to others?

Next let's look closely at The Arrest of Jesus on (Good Friday). Read John 18:1-14  

Think About It: Would you have fought back like Peter to defend Jesus?Jesus refers to a cup that the Father gave him. What cup has the Father given you in your life?

Now let's read Peter Denies Jesus (on Good Friday) Read John 18:15-18, 25-27

Think About It: Why do you think Peter denied being Jesus’ disciple? Have you ever hidden your belief in God? Why or why not? What makes it hard to be a disciple today?

 

 Next, let's read about Jesus before Pilate (Good Friday) Read John 18:28-19:16

Think About It: Why did Jesus say he came into the world? Jesus doesn’t answer Pilate’s question, “What is truth?” What do you think he would say in response? When have you listened to Jesus’ voice during your life? Have you ever let others crucify Jesus by saying mean things about him or disobeying him? Why do people do this? Is Jesus your king?

  

Finally, let's read about The Crucifixion of Jesus (Good Friday) Read John 19:17-37

 

Think About It: Do you look to Mary as a mother as Jesus says to do? Why or why not? Jesus’ last words were, “It is finished.” As a reminder, what did Jesus start and do during his life that is now finished? From Jesus’ side poured blood and water, symbolizing the waters of Baptism and the blood of the Eucharist. How have these sacraments helped you connect with Christ?

Finally, watch this interesting reflection about The Paschal Mystery:

 



Before you leave this lesson, please complete this Exit Ticket.

Comments

  1. John 13:1-15 I would let Jesus wash my feet to wash away my sins.
    John 18:1-14 I would have defended Jesus and the meaning of the cup I feel is that the journey we make though our lives with Jesus will have difficult times but in the end there will be the greatest reward.
    John 18:28-19:16 Peter Denied being Jesus disciple to avoid death, I have never hidden my belief in God and I never will, its my belief just like others beliefs. Being a disciple today is difficult because there are so many other beliefs and others say what I believe is not true apposed to what they believe, but but not arguing and being peaceful is what God would want me to do so that's what I do.
    John 19:17-37 Yes I would look to Mary as a mother since God is my father and Mary is my mother. When Jesus said it is finished he Gave up his spirit. The sacrements help me connect with Jesus by putting a blessed wine and Eucharist into my own body giving me a close feeling of God.




    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What did you learn? What questions do you have? We love to hear from you!