Session 3: Advent & Christmas

What is Christmas? What exactly are we celebrating on this day?

 

On Christmas God sent his Son Jesus to be a light in the world for us. Sometimes you might see

someone using a flashlight. Why would one do that? (To help see in the dark.)


 Jesus is like a light because he helps us see how to stay close to God the Father. He was born into

 a dark and dangerous world. Last session we learned that Jesus called each of us a light in the world

 too. We are called by the sacrament of Baptism to be the light of the world, letting our lives show 

others the way to God. 

 

Discuss: How can I teach others that God loves them through what I do each day?  

 

Read from the Bible: Luke 2:1-20 as children color the Nativity Coloring page attached to this lesson in the Level 1

Google Classroom.  

Then listen to a story that explains the gift of Christmas:  




 

Now let's learn more about Christmas from Brother Francis:  

Brother Francis Series Episode 7: O Holy Night (25 minutes) on Formed.org.  

Don't have a Formed.org account? Use our parish code XZHKBF to create a user ID and password of your own. 

Parent-Child Activity:

We can bring Jesus’ light to others through our good deeds.  

 

Good Deeds and Sacrifices for Baby Jesus- Make an Empty Manger

This project comes from the website CatholicIcing.com.  Parents, explain that Advent is a time of

waiting. We are waiting for the coming of our Savior! The season before Christmas is called 

Advent, and it is traditionally a time of sacrifice for Jesus.

A fun way to incorporate this concept with kids is the empty manger. The manger begins empty at

the beginning of Advent. Each time someone in the family does a good deed or makes a sacrifice, he or

she gets to place a piece of straw in the manger. You can either have a different manger for each child, 

or the family can all add their straw to the same manger. Explain that good deeds and sacrifices are the

best present we can give to Jesus for his birthday! With each piece of straw added to the manger, Jesus

has a softer place to lay for Christmas morning. On Christmas, you add Jesus to the manger before 

opening presents, remembering that Jesus is the best present we will ever receive. This is a 

really fun and meaningful Christmas tradition.

Supplies Needed to Make a Manger Set:

  • Small Wooden box from a craft store (You could substitute a small cardboard box,

    like one from Velveeta Cheese)

  • Brown Paint (acrylic) or a brown marker

  • Paint Brush

  • Old Fashioned clothes pin or peg

  • Sharpie Marker

  • Square piece of felt

  • Shredded paper, Rafia, or Straw

Start by painting or coloring your wooden box brown. Set it aside to dry.

 Next, draw a face on your clothes pin or wooden peg. Use a Sharpie marker.

Glue a small square of felt around the Jesus peg doll for his “swaddling clothes”. When you’re finished,

store Baby Jesus somewhere safe until Christmas- you don’t need him yet. Keep your hay close by 

so it’s easy to add a piece whenever anyone does a good deed or makes a sacrifice.

Every piece of hay will help to make Jesus’ bed softer for Christmas day!

What do I Turn In for This Lesson?  

I'd love to see your mangers! Take a picture of your manger and submit it to your Level 1 Google 

Classroom, or tell me some of the good deeds you did for Baby Jesus during this Advent in a comment

below.   


Comments

  1. I was kind to my mom and dad and my sister and all my family. I made special presents for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We called grandma when our Pop-Pop was in the hospital, we said a prayer for him and it made grandma feel good snd she let Pop-Pop know. We shared out toys. We called out grandpa before his surgery to let him know we loved him. Brooke and Bryce

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was kind and helpful to my mom when she asked me to do things. i made her breakfast in bed when she got foot surgery

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael Cirillo: I was kind and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was kind to my mom when she had a hurt tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave my sister a hug when she was upset, I cleaned up the den, and I helped make my sister feel better when she got sick in the middle of the night. - Mallory Lynch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eedy: "I set the table for Christmas Eve Dinner, we went shopping for kids who didn't have many gifts, and I help my friends in school."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can FaceTime with my G-pa in the nursing facility so he isn’t lonely and tell him I miss him and draw him a picture

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maximus: “I can FaceTime my G-pa in the nursing facility so he isn’t lonely and tell him I miss him and draw him a picture.”

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made pictures and crafts for people so that they smile. Love, Scarlett Dermody

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What did you learn? What questions do you have? We love to hear from you!